Do you need help with your utility bill?
Connecticut’s Public Utilities Regulatory Authority has further extended its protection against utility shutoffs to October 1, 2020.
Customers who need additional help beyond October 1 can request Hardship protection through October 31. The Winter shutoff moratorium for hardship customers starts November 1 and runs through May 1.
Thanks to the Center for Children’s Advocacy‘s Bonnie Roswig and Connecticut Legal Services‘ Wendy Wanchak for working diligently on behalf of consumers to get this additional protection and for putting together the important information below.
How to Get Hardship or Winter Protection Against Shutoffs:
- Call your utility company
- United Illuminating: 800-722-5584
- Eversource: 800-286-2828
- Connecticut Natural Gas: 860-727-3000
- Southern Connecticut Gas: 800-659-8299
- Ask to be coded “Hardship” or “Winter” protection
- Set up a payment plan (see below)
Payment Plans and Assistance Programs:
Companies must offer a payment plan you can afford. Ask about:
- Below Budget Worksheet (payment of $75 per month regardless of back bill)
- New Start (affordable monthly payment/entire back balance forgiven if 12 months of consistent payments)
- Matching Payment Programs (affordable monthly payment as low as $75 – balance reduction)
- Energy Assistance (payment toward back heat bill – you can also call your local Community Action Agency)
- Operation Fuel (financial assistance for unpaid back bills for qualified customers). Click here to learn more about help available.
For help or more information, you can contact:
- Center for Children’s Advocacy: 860-566-0836
- United Way: 211 InfoLine
- Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA): 800-382-4586